[SN-ANNOUNCE] Justice and Peace Commission: Forum on Scorpions
Justice and Peace Commission
info at justiceandpeace.org.za
Fri May 9 14:10:14 SAST 2008
TO ALL SANGONeT USERS
THE SCORPIONS: WHERE TO FROM HERE?
JOIN THE FORUM AND LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD (Limited space, RSVP is
Among the pertinent issues that we are hoping to address are:
* Why were the Scorpions established?
* What issues of law and order were there that needed to be addressed?
* What is the relationship between the Justice department and the Scorpions?
* Are they being disbanded as a result of a resource problem?
* If, as according to President Thabo Mbeki, the Scorpions was established
to deal with National Priority crimes, how will this be dealt with in the
proposed new structure?
* How do we hold on to the experience of the most valued members of the
* According to the Constitution, the NPA is a Chapter Nine institution. As
such, its mandate is to strengthen constitutional democracy. What then, is
the constitutionality of the Scorpions?
These are just some of the questions that the South Africans public would
like to have answers to. It is critical that we include all stakeholders to
engage with this issue and propose a way forward.
Date: Saturday 17 May 2008
Venue: The Chancery, 12 Bouquet Street, Cape Town
Please RSVP to Beverley on/before Tuesday 13 May 2008
Tel. 021 462 2417 or email info at justiceandpeace.org.za
WE HAVE A DUTY TO PROTECT OUR DEMOCRACY
More information about the SN-Announce